September 3, 2010

Logical Consequences

In our classroom, I believe in logical consequences.... If you do something to hurt some one's feelings, you make it right. I explained this to a student today, when he made the not-so-nice choice to break a friend's Lego ship he had built in free station time. He decided to write his friend a note:

It says

Dear _____

I am so sorry I broke your ship. I will do anything to fix it.

Love, _____

These were his own words... I thought it was precious! To me, this has been settled. I think the boys feel like it has been settled, too. I believe that writing the note and having to apologize to a friend was more meaningful than sitting out at recess or getting a note home, however, if your child writes a note like this, I will send a copy home that day, just as a conversation piece.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this very much! Much more meaningful for sure!

    ReplyDelete